CIARGA + Castell de Penyafort combined activity
During the Civil War part of the castle-convent of Penyafort was confiscated by the republican army and turned into a prison. The church was transformed into a community cell where the soldiers of the national troops linked to aviation were imprisoned and the cloister was used as a prison yard. The prison, active until January 1939, was located next to the airfield of Santa Margarida i els Monjos and was part of the set of equipment that the republican aviation built in the Penedès to combat the bombings and defend the front.
With this combined activity, we propose you to know three fundamental spaces to understand the facts, protagonists and consequences of the application of the air war in the town of Santa Margarida i els Monjos: The remains of the old aviators prison in the Castell de Penyafort, the old airfield of Santa Margarida i els Monjos with the visit in the CIARGA and the air-raid shelter of the Serral that, with its 100 meters of underground gallery, protected from the bombing the pilots and the personnel of the airfield.
What does it include?
- Guided tour in CIARGA (The Interpretation Centre of Republican Aviation and Air War) and the air-raid shelter of Serral.
- Guided visit to the prison of Castell de Penyafort.
Av. Palrufiana, 74
- The registration limit is until 48 hours before the activity.
- The activity requires a minimum of 4 assistants for its realization.
- The activity is carried out in Catalan and Spanish.
- Cancellation must be communicated within 48 hours in advance.
- The activity is carried out on closed dates, every fourth Sunday of each month.
- The change of date must be communicated within 48 hours in advance.
- In case of rain, the activity can also be done, since the visit is indoors.
The displacement between both spaces will be carried out in vehicles belonging to the group of attendees.
Both spaces have a free parking area.
The activity requires a minimum of 4 attendees to conduct it.